Do you ever try to do something that looks so simple and fairly straight forward, and other people around you are able to do it without a problem, but you’re the one that’s having trouble?
Welcome to my struggle.
Although my coding skills are still at the beginner level and I haven’t touched it since we created it, anyone that goes onto my site is greeted with a white page with a simple sentence explaining that there’s nothing to see. I may not be able to create an elegant page with fancy features (yet), I at least wanted to make my page look a little bit more lively. To do that, I wanted to simply apply a background image to my page.
First things first, I wanted to play around with the code and not make anything final on the main page, so I duplicated my resume.css and renamed it for my sandbox page.
Since I had no idea what I was doing, much like with everything else when it comes to web design, I had to trust the good and mighty Google for the answer. Much like the rest of the class, I used w3school.com to guide me through the process. At first, I wanted to set the background using CSS, and this is what the code would look like:
Okay, simple enough. So I tried that myself:
(I am aware there is no semicolon in the above image. I added it after taking this screenshot. It did not help)
No results. Okay, maybe there’s something else you have to do but they’re just not showing that part. I tried adding images/ to before the image file. Nope, that didn’t work.
This is the part where I tell you that everything starts to look like this.
After trying multiple other combinations and trying to toy with the code, I had a thought: “Did I add the image to the server?”
Oh, geez. So I did that, and then used the initial code I used. Still no dice. I looked up multiple videos and followed them to see if there was something I was doing wrong. None of them were working for me.
…Okay, now I’m getting frustrated.
This is about the time I noticed that Mike F was able to do what I was trying to do, but in HTML. “Alright,” I thought. “I’ll try what he did.” I used the same page of w3school that he had used and switched to my sandbox’s index.html document.
I did exactly what he had done, and checked to make sure I wasn’t making the same mistakes he made. I inserted the code, and then uploaded the file to the server
After spending hours trying to figure out something that seemed so simple from the start, I came up empty. As of now, I don’t know if there was something I was doing wrong with the code or there was something outside of it I didn’t take care of. With my luck, it’s something so simple and an easy oversight.
Mike, if you’re reading this: please. Help a brother out and show me your ways!